WHAT ARE CLEAN SKINCARE PRODUCTS AND HOW CAN HARMFUL CHEMICALS AFFECT?
Are you doubtful about the skincare products you use? Do they guarantee you a risk-free experience? Well, it is time that you start checking labels before purchasing beauty products. Recent studies have shown links between cancer, environmental pollution, and the chemical-laden products available on supermarket shelves.
Nonetheless, clean beauty brands have raised up a storm in the last couple of years, promising a clean and organic future of skincare. Want to dig deep to learn what clean and chemical-free skincare products are? You have come to the right place then; read further!
CLEAN BEAUTY PRODUCTS: WHAT IS IT?
Clean beauty products are changing the way the world looks at beauty and skincare. People are dropping paraben and sulphate loaded products from their routine in exchange for 'clean' beauty products. This shift has paved the way to more awareness when it comes to what you’re putting on your skin in the name of cosmetics and skincare.
Clean products are chemical-free, which is good for both healthy skin and an healthy environment. These products are devoid of any harmful ingredients that can bring danger to human health in the longer run. For example, the EOS lip balm caused havoc amongst users complaining about it causing skin rashes and bleeding. On the other hand, the FDA or FTC regulations don't stop organisations from using certain chemicals in acceptable amounts for preservation purposes.
WHY CHOOSE CLEAN SKINCARE PRODUCTS?
Skincare experts and even influencers are doling out advice to shift to organic skincare ingredients at home. Environmentalists have also come together to do the same. Amidst the moral and practical decisions, most consumers choose healthier options as opposed to synthetic chemicals. A common example is the usage of natural oils for make-up removal instead of expensive cleansers filled with sulphates and parabens.
Today, several companies have started focusing on creating clean products, leading to a rise in popularity of what is known as 'clean skincare products.' Choosing clean over chemicals means leading a life without toxins sitting on your skin. Because at the end of the day, it’s the label transparency that matters!
PARABENS, SULPHATES AND OTHER DANGERS TO YOUR SKIN
Have you heard of the story of Queen Elizabeth putting layers of face paint, risking herself to lead poisoning? Even deodorants were good until scientists discovered that CFCs in aerosols cause cancer and ozone layer depletion. Similarly, the world is gaining awareness about paraben-free/sulphate-free products. And you should too!
- It is the most commonly found chemical preservative in skincare products. Skincare products contain parabens to prevent bacterial growth or moulding.
- Its risk: The chemical behaves like estrogen. When used for a longer time, It can cause chemical and hormonal imbalances in your body, including abnormalities in reproductive systems and their functions. It has been linked to cancer. It also causes water pollution, harming aquatic life.
- It is a cleansing agent that creates lather. It is the most common lathering agent found in soaps and foaming cleansers. The lathering agent helps remove the dirt, oil and gunk off your skin and hair without much effort.
- Its risk: The chemical is responsible for irritating your lungs, eyes, nose, and mouth. It strips the essential oils of your body and hair, causing brittle skin and hair. Sulphates in your products can reach the water bodies, causing acidification of soil and water.
Now that you know the dangers linked to these chemicals, you must be worried about how to avoid them. The best way out is to choose brands selling clean skincare products.
HOW TO KNOW IF YOUR SKINCARE PRODUCTS ARE SAFE?
Look out for two red flags- Parabens and sulphates. Preservatives may be essential but are not necessary as there are natural alternatives to chemicals. Remember, skincare products labelled 'organic' or 'ayurvedic' do not guarantee paraben-free products. Before choosing your skincare product, check its label. Reject the product if it contains high amounts of the following components-
- Sulphates (SLS and SLES)
- PEGs (Polyethylene)
- Lead and other metals
- DEA, TEA, or MEA.
- Mineral oil
- UV filters like Oxybenzone and Octinoxate (always choose products with natural UV filters like coconut oil, zinc oxide, etc.)
NATURAL SKINCARE PRODUCT PRESERVATIVES
Skincare products with no preservatives is a bad idea as it will have a low shelf life. Thus, it should consist of natural preservatives. Specifically, skincare products with water in them can use natural preservatives such as-
- Benzyl Alcohol: This chemical is found in plants and used in perfumes and essential oils.
- Potassium Sorbate: It is a white salt that gets used to prevent bacterial growth in skincare products. It is the most common preservative alternative.
- Sorbic Acid: It is the main preservative in eye make-up and skincare products.
- Aloe vera: It gets mixed in make-up and skincare products along with other natural preservatives.
- Salicylic Acid: It works as a preservative and antiseptic.
Revolutionise your skincare routine
Why do you need to review your skincare routine? Because you can have a better life without the toxic chemicals. Clean skincare products offer benefits like-
- No heavy metals like lead
- No synthetic fragrances
- No synthetic tint
- Zero artificial preservatives
- Allergy-free experience
- Happy scalp as parabens and sulphate is less
- Better for the environment
- Clean products are usually cruelty-free as well
Go Chemical Free
Having chemical-free products will not only make your life better but also save the earth in ways you might not have imagined.
So, are you ready to make this “CLEAN” shift?